Saturday, November 5, 2011

History of all NFL Franchises

I've had this idea for a while. I think originally I had wanted to do it with baseball teams, because I was very surprised that some of them went so far back. I wanted to present in a time line form the lineages of the franchises of a league. The hardest part is to try to arrange it in someway as to also represent general geographic region. 

The only condition for any franchise to be included was to have at least played 1 official NFL game. There were a few franchises that only played a few games.

The biggest challenge in the arrangement was the merger years between the Cardinals and the Steelers, and the Steelers and Eagles. It would have been easier if I could have put these franchises right next to each other. I think the way I eventually settled it works ok. Since there were few teams during these merger years, the stretched lines don't get in the way of other teams. 

To make the image a little nicer, I decided to incorporate changes in team colors and logo changes. This was a little bit harder. I had to rely on Wikipedia and other sites to collect colors and images. When logo changes were to similar and I didn't have the right space, I just left them out. So the image isn't really exhaustive. 

I had also considered what do with with the AFL merger. Do I show the AFL, or only show the teams' history within the NFL. If I included the AFL, then I really would have had to include other teams' history outside of the NFL. Eventually I chose to use the arrows I did, to show how far the teams stretched outside the NFL. I hope it looks clear.

It may require zooming in to see the complete details of all the teams. 



SEE ZOOMABLE LARGE SIZE

No comments:

Post a Comment