Saturday, December 4, 2010

Map of Music LA

I've been recently seeing maps like this and this lately. I saw another one with band/solo artists too, but I can't find it now. I know I found it on reddit, but I can't seem to hit the right key words in the title of the submission. Well, just imagine that it would be a similar thing with different musical artist.

Everywhere in the thread there were discussions about which artists should be assigned to a certain state. California, being the most populous state, obviously had a lot of contenders. I got the idea that you could probably do one for the whole of California, maybe by county. In my mind, I tried to decide who would go into LA County and I was struck by the same sort of gridlock.

So I brought it down even a further level and thought that you can just do one for LA and try to map where the famous bands of LA originated. Some of these were hard to place and I had to do some reading about the history of the bands to assign them some sort of location. There was also sometimes some ambiguity as to whether I should include them or not. For example, 2pac was born in NY, raised in Baltimore, moved to the Bay Area, but eventually settled in LA, where he reached celebrity. He also boasts of his ties to LA more than any of those other cities. I just tried to include what was fair. I also didn't want to include individual members of bands that were already represented either. So NWA counts for Ice Cube, Dr. Dre and Eazy E. And it's not all super accurate as to "where they originated" but I tried to do the best I could and not just cram everybody into Hollywood. I also tried to have as broad of a variety of genres as I could.

The map includes most of LA County (save the Antelope Valley and farther north. I would have loved to include Frank Zappa, but he would just be an island up there by himself in Lancaster) and about the northwestern half of Orange County.

In case you can't figure it out: GnR = Guns N Roses, SOAD = System of a Down, RATM = Rage Against the Machine, RHCP = Red Hot Chili Peppers. If you don't know what NWA stands for, I'll just let you look that one up yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment